Monday, April 11, 2011

Just some thoughts...

I did my Pedi Oncology rotation today, which was something I was actually really looking forward to. As a disease I find it both fascinating and heartbreaking. I enjoy reading about its pathological mysteries and studying its unpredictable course of events, being so unique and uncertain in each individual. However, losing loved ones to the disease I find it totally destructive, completely evil, and absolutely unfair. The Oncology floor is a space like no other. It's gut-wrenching and joyful all at the same time. It crushes me to see the parent's struggling to remain hopeful, yet totally worn down. And it burdens me to see those sweet babies hooked up to miles of tubing.

But, I know the presence of God is strong and near in that place. He walks the halls, strokes their hairless heads, and takes up residence at their bedside. He's ever so present for those loves who have no visitors and he inhabits the nurses who rock them, comfort them, and sing them sweet lullabies. His angels hover over the Butterfly Room, lifting up praise for the weak little bodies about to give out, and assisting them on their final flight home.

Seeing those bald-headed little beauties this morning was an experience I will never forget. I memorized their sweet smiles and names so I can trace them over and over in my prayers.

The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings like eagles;
they shall run and not be weary;
they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

For I will restore health to you, and your wounds I will heal, declares the Lord...

Jeremiah 30:17

No comments:

Post a Comment