Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Celiac Update Yr. Dos

When most people learn I have Celiac Disease their response is "Oh that sucks". Well, yes it sometimes does suck. It sucks not being able to utilize coupons to certain restaurants because I cannot eat their apps, entrees, or desserts. It sucks having to pack a separate bag for my food every time I travel. It sucks having to pay 5X the cost for bread. It sucks having to eat before I go to a party or celebration because I don't know if I will be able to eat anything there. But for the diet as a whole, it really doesn't suck all that bad.

I have been blessed with a problem that is curable with lifelong diet alterations. I don't have to be on medication, I don't have to worry about ever truly struggling with weight gain, and the best blessing of all is just having an answer. I was so so sick and in so much pain and the fear of the unknown was the worst. Every symptom seemed to point to Liver Cancer and my darkest fear was that it was true. But, God-willing it wasn't.

After being diagnosed I thought my pain, my nausea and my fatigue were behind me. I was wrong. My poor immune system was shot at that point and even altering my diet wasn't going to give me an instant turn around. I was catching everything under the sun. And not just a sniffle or a sneeze. A 24-hr stomach bug would leave me with projectile vomiting for over 5 days. Changes in weather caused full blown ear infections and severe bronchitis. I even tore cartilage in my ribs during all this. I had some form of debilitating illness for 10 out of 12 months in a calendar year. But, I knew God was faithful. I prayed for an answer and he gave me a diagnosis. And with that diagnosis I expected immediate results(which on my time-line of things didn't really come). But, I prayed and cried and endured because I knew things would get better.

So, as of year two things ARE better. I still struggle with nausea, seasonal allergies, and other complications that come with Celiac (IBS, joint problems and fertility issues), but I know they will all get better. I still have long road in front of me, but my God is good. My God loves me and wants good things for those who love him. I will continue to heal and become stronger, physically as well as spiritually. And I have never been more thankful!

"And He said to her, Daughter, be of good cheer; your faith has made you well. Go in peace."
Luke 8:48

No comments:

Post a Comment